Helping you to move and be active
The University of Queensland's (UQ) Physiotherapy Clinics provide a wide range of physiotherapy and rehabilitation healthcare services to the community. Together we'll identify how to enhance your activity and participation so that you can get the most out of life. Our clinics provide speciality physiotherapy for children and adolescents; musculoskeletal and sporting injuries; and mobility, balance, vestibular and neurological issues. Referrals are not required to attend our clinics.
Services we offer
Developmental Paediatric Clinic
We specialise in the management of neurodevelopmental, musculoskeletal and sensory conditions associated with developmental delays in posture, movement, co-ordination and breathing. We provide speciality physiotherapy assessment for children aged from birth to 18 years of age.
Parents and guardians
Our Development Paediatric Clinic can assist if you have concerns or questions about your child's muscle, joint or neurological development, such as:
- your baby feels 'floppy' or 'stiff' when being held
- your baby doesn't tolerate 'tummy time' well by four months of age
- your baby was premature (born before 34 weeks' gestation)
- your child is delayed in achieving physical milestones (such as rolling, head turning, crawling and walking)
- your child is not sitting by nine months of age
- your child is not trying to stand up by 12 months of age your child is not walking by 18 months of age
- your child has an unusual walk, foot posture or walks on their toes
- your child experiences clumsiness with running, jumping or ball skills
- your child has aches or pains with activity or rest
- you are concerned about your child's posture
- your child has difficulty participating in and/or enjoying sport.
Our services include:
- individual assessments and development of specialised programs to suit your child's needs
- programs to increase strength, balance, co-ordination and function
- screening of babies and children to check for normal development
- management of problems associated with delays in development of normal posture and movement
- treatment of infants and children with conditions such as cerebral palsy, Down's syndrome and neuromuscular disorders
- assessment and treatment of children and adolescents demonstrating movement problems, including 'developmental co-ordination disorder' with associated attention and behavioural disorders such as Attention Deficit
- co-ordination and/or organisation problems such as delays in fine and gross motor skill development including Autistic Spectrum Disorder associated with motor problems
- musculoskeletal problems affecting motor function.
Musculoskeletal and Sports Injury Clinic
We treat all musculoskeletal and sports injuries for people of all ages and activity. Our consultations provide individual diagnosis and management plans to include specific therapeutic exercise prescription, manual therapy and advice on ergonomics, postural correction and movement disorders.
Do you experience:
- neck pain, headaches and arm pain
- low back pain, sciatica and sacroiliac dysfunction
- arthritis hip, knee, ankle and foot joint, muscle or ligament injuries
- shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand injuries
- fractures and dislocations
- pre and post-surgery
- temporomandibular jaw and facial pain
- postural problems and work related injuries?
Let us help you to regain your movement and be active.
Our services include:
- joint mobilisation or manipulation
- specific and individualised therapeutic exercise prescription
- advice on ergonomics, postural correction and movement disorders
- preventative management
- soft tissue or myofascial release
- ultrasound imaging for muscle retraining
- motor control retraining and core stability strengthening
- advanced neuro dynamic mobilisation
- bike assessments — we are able to provide an introductory assessment of your bicycle set-up
- sports-specific screenings and interventions — development of exercise interventions that are specific to your sports requirements
- orthotics — we can conduct a biomechanical assessment of the lower limbs to determine whether orthotics are required.
Neurological, Ageing and Balance Clinic
We specialise in the rehabilitation of chronic and progressive neurological conditions, ageing, balance and vestibular disorders. We provide supportive, positive assistance to people with symptoms adversely affecting their mobility, co-ordination, sensation, balance and activity participation.
Do you experience/have you been diagnosed with:
- a neurological disorder such as stroke, traumatic brain or spinal cord injury, Parkinson's disease or Multiple Sclerosis
- movement disorders associated with Vestibular Dysfunction, Muscular Dystrophies, Diabetes, Peripheral Vascular Disease following amputation
- movement and balance difficulties associated with ageing including persons who have had, or are at risk of, a fall
- congenital and acquired disabilities?
Or do you require:
- information and education on appropriate uses of walking aids
- review or scripting for wheelchair seating?
Let us help you enhance your activity and participation.
Our services include:
- comprehensive physical and functional assessment for all clients with all levels of movement problems across the adult lifespan
- identification of the cause of movement problems
- interventions on an individual basis or within a class setting
- self-management models
- scripting and advice for wheelchair and mobility aids.
Specific programs offered include:
- vestibular and balance program and classes
- running with a neurological condition
- optimising upper limb return with neurological conditions.
Whiplash Assessment Clinic
The Whiplash Assessment Clinic in the Division of Physiotherapy provides a physical diagnostic service and treatment recommendations to persons with symptoms following a whiplash injury and their treating physiotherapist and medical officer.